Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Picture of Dorian Gray

Both Covers
Both Covers,
originally uploaded by corwinok.
I finally finished my edition of The Picture of Dorian Gray. The stitching on the millipedes isn't quite as clean as I'd like, especially across the spine, but it seems to work, and isn't too bad for a first effort. The sueded paper is just a joy to work with and looks absolutely beautiful (plus it feels nice). The only part that really didn't go quite right, oddly enough, was the endpapers. I got a fair amount more warping and bubbling than I usually do, which probably either came from using too much glue, or a wetter glue than usual. I don't have pictures of them up, but I used a silver-finish light-weight cardstock for the endpapers, which goes well with the cover paper.

For the text on the cover, I printed out the image I used on the title page, then used that as a template to hand-emboss the letters into the cover. I bought an embossing tool a little while back, but hadn't had a chance to use it. It did great, and I inked the embossed letters afterwards. It should work just as well on the spine of a regular binding as well.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, that is lovely. And the millipedes came out really beautifully. I'm so happy to see that technique in use.

The endpaper bubbling may be the result of uneven expansion of the paper. Maybe use a moister adhesive (adding wheat paste to the PVA or methyl cellulose, if that's what you used) and let the paper fully relax before you apply it. I also often use a brayer (printmaking tool) to ensure the endpapers adhere to the entire inside boards.

Thu Sep 01, 05:31:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home